A few weeks ago I stopped by our local CBS Affiliate, WTVR, to film a segment about summer beauty with Jessica Noll for Virginia This Morning. We talked about the best self tanner, a makeup setting spray with SPF and an exfoliating bootie for your feet. It’s going to air tomorrow morning (Memorial Day) at 9am, so tune in if you can! (Update: Watch the segment below.)
Here’s the story of what it was like to be on the show and a little more about my favorite products for summer.
I met with Jessica and we brainstormed a few ideas for the segment. She helped me narrow it down to featuring BabyFoot, NKD SKN and COOLA. She filled me in on all the details for the taping and answered all my questions about how to talk and act on TV. She recommended a few well-versed guests to research and learn from.
Once the taping date was set, I reached out to Hank Greenberg of Roan for fashion advice. I stopped into the shop and tried out several options.
They have so many gorgeous clothes in the store.
We eventually landed on this outfit for the segment and Hank added a neckpiece from Mignon Gavigan.
When I arrived at the station, everyone was SO friendly. I’ve been interviewed a few times as a social media specialist by reporter Melissa Hipolit (Here’s a photo from when she stopped by my house one time and met Kitty), but this was my first time visiting the station and for anything blog-related on TV. I had SO much fun at the station; I got to meet everyone and they even gave me a backstage tour. Jessica was super nice and talked me through my nerves.
Can you believe how many screens? It reminded me of the command center we sometimes worked out of when I was at Capital One.
I had a blast doing the segment and hopefully there will be more fun things to come! Here are the summer products I talked about (and more) with details and links!
I got this striped shirt from J. Crew at last week’s event, and these tortoise flip flops are the capri sandals from Old NAVY (sadly no longer available in tortoise). The bag is from Kate Spade Saturday, which also no longer exists. Details on the beauty goodies pictured and a few more below:
1: SkinCeuticals Blemish + Age Defense | $90 | Bliss.com: Does anyone else’s skin freak out whenever the seasons change? Ever since the weather warmed up, my skin’s been breaking out. I’ve been using a few different things, and just remembered I had this. I started using it again and it’s been helping out a lot. It stings when you put it on, but it goes away quickly. It hus a very thin texture, and I just use a droplet or two on my finger and then dab onto blemishes. Here’s what’s in it: 2% Dioic Acid: Naturally derived from vegetables, this ingredient helps reduce excess sebum, 0.3% LHA (caproloyl salicylic acid): A lipo-hydroxy acid, LHA, evenly exfoliates skin, decongests pores, and refines the skin’s surface, 1.5% Salicylic Acid: A beta-hydroxy acid refines pores and helps reduce the formation of acne and 3.5% Glycolic Acid and 0.5% Citric Acid: These alpha-hydroxy acids work synergistically to smooth skin and minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
2: WHEN “The Last Choice” Hydrating Sheet Mask | $7 | Sephora: I love the moisturizing masks from Fresh, Peter Thomas Roth and GlamGlow, but I think sheet masks are the best for when your skin is REALLY dry. I like the way brand fits my face. I tried their “Snow Magic” mask too. I have a couple on deck that I plan to use after long days in the sun or for when I use too much retinol.
3. Charlotte Tilbury ‘Filmstar Killer Cheekbones’ Set: I saw the Powder & Sculpt Brush that comes with this kit in this Lisa Eldrige YouTube video. She said she prefers small brushes for bronzer verses the big fluffy ones, because you can get it exactly where you want it. We don’t have anywhere in Richmond that carries this brand, so I stopped into the Nordstrom at Tyson’s corner while I was in Northern Virginia for work to try it out. I’m glad I did, because the lovely Jasmine (check out her Instagram) showed me the Bronze & Glow palette. I’d been using the Too Faced Chocolate Soleil bronzer and I’d been thinking about trying something different. The bronzer has a “satin” finish, which I really like (the Too Faced one is 100% matte). The highlighter is nice too – very subtle. I like that they come together so I can carry it with me for touchups.
4. NKD SKN Self Tan Mousse in Dark | $19.50 | ElementsBeautyShop.com: I talk about this more in depth in this post. It’s my favorite self tanner. (make sure you use the mitt to apply and for mistakes, use the Bronze Buffer!)
5. COOLA Make Up Setting Spray SPF 30 | $36 | ElementsBeautyShop.com: This stuff is just the best. I’ve talked about it before here and here. Basically, it enables you to add sun protection throughout the day without messing up your makeup. I like this for when I’m out in the sun more than I planned and I spray it on every hour or so if I’m laying at the pool.
6. Deborah Lippmann Nail Lacquer in Naked | $18 | ElementsBeautyShop.com: This is a true nude shade, which I think looks really chic. It’s pretty much the exact same color as my skin. Deborah Lippmann is also a jazz singer; she named all of her polishes after song titles. I love to pair this with “Lady Is A Tramp” on my toes. They’re also all free of animal testing, parabens, sulfates, toluene, formaldehyde resin, camphor, DBP and vegan.
7. BabyFoot | $25 | ElementsBeautyShop.com: This stuff is wild. If you look up YouTube reviews, you’ll see some pretty crazy stuff. The product comes with two plastic booties covered in fruit acids. You wear them for one hour, then rinse, and your feet will peel for up to two weeks and be super soft.
I would LOVE to hear about your favorite summer beauty products. Post them in the comments!
Get any of the products from Elements mentioned in this blog for 10% off when you mention my blog at their Carytown location or use the code TIRAMISU online.
PS: You can enter to win the products featured on the Elements Facebook page!
Leave a Reply