I am Maggie. I am a senior at East Carolina University in Greenville, North Carolina. Currently, I live in a house with three of my best friends, but it wasn’t too long ago that I was living in a dorm. I remember my dorm days well and wanted to share with you some of my favorite things and must-haves to make the best of dorm life.
1. WEST ELM | Auburn Ottoman | One of my most used items in my college dorm room was an ottoman. Since seating is very limited in a small dorm room, these were the perfect way to seat all of my friends.
2. UGG | SCUFFETTE II |Going back and forth between the dorms and the dining hall happens at all hours of the day and night. More times than I can count. UGG slippers were my go-to for these excursions because you just slip them on and out you go. Four years later I still use these UGGS almost every day. Such a useful buy.
3. TARGET | Women's Cozy Robe | A cozy robe is a must! I didn’t think of this one until I got to school and saw that my roommate had one. You not only need it for getting in and out of the shower but you will end up lounging in it while you get ready for game day!
4. AMAZON | BESTEK 6-Outlet Round Power Strip |In most dorm rooms there are only two outlets. These power strips are a great way to make outlets more available in your room. Another benefit of these particular power strips is how they have a USB outlet attached. Now you can charge your phone without needing a charging cube. It comes in handy when lots of friends are in your room and everyone needs to charge their phone.
5. POTTERY BARN TEEN | Emily & Meritt Pirate Striped Bath Wrap | Many dorm rooms can get hot. Especially if they don’t have AC. This towel wrap is a perfect substitute for a robe, especially during the hot months. I still use my today.
6. POTTERY BARN DORM | Bed Risers, White, 8" |Dorms are very small so you need to be very strategic on how you store your items in your room. Bed risers are a super helpful way to gain some extra space. This is where you put all the stuff you don’t need to get to often.
7. POTTERY BARN TEEN | Extra Long Bedskirt, 24" | Going along with the bed risers, this extra long bed skirt is a great way to hide the items you have under your bed. This helps your small dorm room look cleaner and less cluttered.
8. AMAZON | Mesh Shower Caddy Tote|Shower caddies are the best way to store your restroom needs while living in the dorms. Personally, I feel a flexible shower caddy is better than a hard one. I liked this one because you can hang it in the bathroom or on a hook in your room. Less clutter and cleaner in my opinion.
9. TARGET | Non-Slip Velvet Hanger Black |One of my biggest pet peeves is when clothes slip off hangers. My mom sent me off to college with felt hangers and I have never turned back. Felt hangers are so useful because they hold all styles of clothes, no matter what the fabric is.
10. TARGET | Cut Plush Body Pillow Cover |To get more seating space in your dorm use a body pillow. Place it longways along the side of your bed and the wall. This turns your twin XL bed into a sofa. Works every time.
11. AMAZON | Hilife Steamer | One big issue my friends and I had when we lived in the dorms was our clothes would wrinkle quickly due to how small our closets were. None of us wanted to buy an iron because it would take up too much space and was a huge hassle to use. Steamers were the perfect alternative because they were a small, easy to use tool that gets the job done fast and effectively.
12. DORMIFY | Charging Two Tone Lamp with Catchall | Dorm rooms normally have extra bright LED lights on the ceiling. These lights are harsh. A resolution to this is to get a few lamps that have outlets on the sides of them. These will go perfectly beside your bed and can be used to charge your phone.